Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Holiday Reflections

Aw, the 2008 holiday season is over, (wipes brow). Yes, they were wonderful, but I must admit, I’m glad they’re over. My granddaughter’s birthday is December 23rd. With all of the celebrations and extended family, by Christmas Day, even she was saying, “No, open, Da Da.” She was tired and ready to stay home and play with the presents she’d received in the previous days.

I received some wonderful gifts. Lots of great Mustang stuff and of course some additional Elvis things, but also the most unusual gift I’ve ever received. My husband bought me a gift certificate for a conceal and carry class. It was not something I’d asked for (though I hadn’t asked for anything so maybe he was at his wit’s end), and I really hesitated at taking the class, but afterwards I was glad I did it. Yes, I passed, and so if I ever feel the need, I can legally ‘pack heat’. The class, which was the Saturday after Christmas and took all day, was so very interesting.

The instructors were wonderful, and I’d consider it a self defense class, beside a gun safety training class. It also provided me with a broader understanding of respect for those who must carry a handgun for their jobs…And a deeper perceptive on the pioneers who lived by the gun on their hip.

So what was your most unusual gift? (This year or any other year.)

Oh, and I have to say THANK YOU to anyone who purchased my books, especially Shotgun Bride, The Quinter Brides Book 1. It has hung out on the Fictionwise bestselling list for over three weeks.

1 comment:

Paty Jager said...

Congrats on the best seller list and making it through the holidays. The last of my company left this morning.

That is an interesting gift from your dh, but it sounds like it was also useful to your writing.

My dh gave me two different types of gadgets that allow me to plug my computer into a car. I guess he's worried my 6 hour battery on my computer won't last for whatever trips he plans to take! LOL And with this year being our 30th anniversary we booked an inland passage cruise to Alaska.