Tuesday, September 7, 2010

All Better

Thanks for all the well wishes about my back. It was just a strain, and is just fine and dandy now. The heat sock did wonders.

We had a quiet, long weekend. Family drove up from Iowa, and we all just puttered around. Visited others, went out to eat, etc. etc. I did some target practice with my six-shooter, and we ‘babysat’ the granddogs all weekend. (Yes, they were at the June wedding. They even had their own boutonnieres). Bear, the larger of the two, topping one-hundred pounds, really thought he should sleep in the bed with us. In the end, he agreed to sleep on the floor next to my bed. We also watched the new grandbaby for a few hours on Monday. She is such a good baby, and our time together was lovely.

I’ve had the song, The Yellow Rose of Texas, in my head lately, mainly because it’s the tune my son’s doorbell plays. They didn’t even know what song it was until I told them. It was just the one that my granddaughter liked the most out of the many the doorbell offers. I couldn’t remember all the words and did a Google search…Wikipedia states the Center for American History at the University of Texas has an unpublished handwritten version of the song that dates back to 1836. It’s claimed to be associated with the battle of San Jacinto…Yes, I’m a research junkie. I love finding little bits of fascinating history. Of course, the version in my head is slightly different, since it’s sung by Dolly Pardon.

Speaking of research, I now know more than I’ll ever need about raising hogs. In my current work in progress, the heroine is a ‘pig’ farmer, and the hero is an outlaw. It’s turning out to be a fun story to write.

I hope you all had a fabulous long weekend, and that you’ll have an even more wonderful week. Smile at a stranger—you might make their day.

2 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Oh you should have contacted me! We used to raise pigs. It was my income.

Congrats on getting over the sore back and having fun with the grand critters and kids.

You have to use that info about the song for a book or story. I know all about researching., ;)

Lauri said...

I should have known you raised pigs, Paty! That just doesn't surprise me.

It's so easy to get lost in research, isn't it?